Sunday, March 28, 2010

Day 11

I'm growing a plant. Or is it a flower? Either way, I'm a first timer.

The only thing I've ever been able to successfully grow is some mold in the fridge on some old chicken. The plant seriously looks like a 6 year old could tend to it, so I thought "hey, fits within my standards". Here were the directions:

1. Place the soil pellet in a bowl or cup (check)
2. Add approximately 3 tablespoons lukewarm water (it still looked dry...added about 6...check)
3. Let the soil pellet absorb the water for about 5 minutes (it look pretty well absorbed after one minute...check)
4. Use a fork to mix the soil with the water (check)
5. Put the soil in the pot (see what I mean by 6 year old standards now?..check)
6. Sow only 5 seeds in the pot and use the extra seeds in your garden (crap, it didn't say anything about the prerequisite garden...someone want them?...check)
7. Place the seeds on top of the soil and lightly press the seeds into the soil (how far into the soil? i had about 3 rounds of pushing them down...check)
8. Place in a sunny location (check)
9. Keep the soil moist (so far so good...check)
10. Transplant when the plants are 3" tall (uhhhh....transplant where?!)


Currently my new plant is sitting on the kitchen window sill. I feel like it's supposed to have a name. I generally tend to name things of the male gender, but since it's a sunflower does that make it more female? Any suggestions?



4 comments:

  1. Did you get that at Target? I bought a few, last year and none of them sprouted. The one that did sprout, sprouted and then instantly died. It was lame.

    ReplyDelete
  2. hmmm...seems like odds are against her. name her Helen Keller. odds were against her and she pulled through with some help. see the relationship?

    ReplyDelete
  3. haha that's too funny. helen keller it is.

    ReplyDelete